[Mageia-discuss] Package management system

Morgan Leijström morgan at tribun.eu
Wed Sep 29 00:25:48 CEST 2010

Den 2010-09-28 20:54:35 skrev Michael Scherer:
> And well, while smart was new and shiny with original features, I think
> "being popular" is a overstatement.

I liked to use smart before.
Once I needed it to solve dependencies i could not use urpm* to solve.
It do give better overlook, and it have more efficient downloading, so i kept
using it for a while.

Nowadays i just use urpmi to avoid any problems a less maintained program
might have, but have smart installed just in case urpmi would break.

It would be great if urpmi could be given an advanced mode where dependencies
are better displayed, bla, bla... and maybe for speed split into a downloader
working continously and from more than one server concurrently, and another
part that installs when packages and dependencies are down (instead of
waiting for servers, slow downloads, or while install are being done)

How compatible is rpm5 to build system and installers?
Is it possible to begin the move gradually or must it be changed in one big
step?

--
Morgan Leijström, Tribun AB,
Esperöd Hällekås, 27735 Kivik, Sweden