[Mageia-discuss] Package management system

Morgan Leijström fri at tribun.eu
Wed Sep 29 14:11:24 CEST 2010

Den 2010-09-29 12:07:50 skrev Michael Scherer:
> Packagekit integration in gnome ( like "install gstreamer plugin when
> needed to play a file" or "install on demand file when i type the
> command" ) is nice, and IMHO, would solve some issue we tried to solve
> with Suggests.

It is often good, but:

When on slow download it is more appreciated if all possible dependencies
would have ben installed with the requested program at original install time
from DVD or fast internet @home/work instead of slow wireless/phone
connection.

Especially think of the case where you have *no* internet connection and want
to, say, play a video but can not because you do no thave that specfic codec.
Or must because of work open an unusual file.

Ideas:
Could there be a (sticky) main control in the package manager (and installer)
to select wether to install suggests immediately, or when needed.

(And preferrably also a method to later install all suggests in all already
installed packages)