[Mageia-discuss] Mageia Mirror size

Thomas Backlund tmb at iki.fi
Fri Oct 1 08:21:24 CEST 2010

Olivier Thauvin skrev 1.10.2010 04:32:
> Hi,

[...]
> The current full Mandriva mirror is more than 1,2 TB.
>
> So an immediate question come: should we try to reduce the size ?
>
> There are solutions, but they implies changes in our development
> process and have counter parts:
> - using hardlink between RPM:
>    - can be done for noarch inside a release

Should be done.

>    - no resiging packages from cooker to stable at release (rpm changes,
>      any possible hardlink get broken)

If we resign the whole tree and relink it "offline", and then move the
full tree online, does it still break downstream mirrors ?

> - do not push -debug: will bother others developers

Maybe separated on the mirror so downstream mirrors can choose not to
mirror it if space is an issue?

> - removing old distro (having another tree for old): this usualy
>    bother people having old distribution still working on some
>    computers, 3 years is not a so long timelife

If we need to do the "move current -> old" dance, we need to be careful
so mirrors does not end up resyncing another 100GB every time...
(IIRC you had complaints about how it was done earlier at Mandriva, so
  we need to remember those problems)

ANd this of course depends on how many releases/year we do, and for how
long they are supported.

and the whole rolling vs. stable releases discussion.

--
Thomas