[Mageia-discuss] Mageia Mirror size

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Fri Oct 1 12:57:08 CEST 2010

* chag (chagam at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today, you can find 1To SATA hard disks around 60€ (vat included). I
> shouldn't be to hard to have too I guess.if there's 100persons on this
> list, each gives 1.5€ and you are done with the 2x1To hard disks in RAID.

If you take into account performance, maintenance and having disk not
failing into 3 months the price is not just 2x60 €.

A professional sata disk is more around 100€.

Saying that, the global size Mageia will need is more around 2 or 3 Tera
if you add BS, SVN, Mirrors, users home, etc...

Obiouvsly, managing such size is a bit more complex: you'll need RAID5
or RAID6, 4 to 6 disks and a computer with enough disk slot.

We cannot manage our server like a desktop if we do not want to be face
to problem later !

On mirror size the problem is bigger, you have to permanently check you
have enough disk space and adding 1TB to the current system is not just
adding a 60€ disk.

You can have a look to the picture at bottom of the distrib-coffee web
page to understand what I mean:
http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/
Each array cost around 1500€, but none of them have lost data yet since
it get installed (5 years ago).

Regards.

--

Olivier Thauvin