[Mageia-discuss] About Mandriva tools future : Host Mandriva tools on github

Fabrice Facorat fabrice.facorat at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 15:22:24 CEST 2010

2010/10/1 Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com>:
> On 1 October 2010 12:38, Fabrice Facorat <fabrice.facorat at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As we know, one of the Mandriva strenght are the Mandriva tools,
>> however Mandriva tools have some issues :
>> - they are written in perl. Sorry for perl dev, but I do still think
>> that perl is harder to understand than C-like based syntax langages.
>
> That's your point of view. Every programmer will have its own POV.
> Thus this is a void argument.

sure, but I do think that people learing programming langages, notably
at school/university, first learn C-based langages ( C, C++, java,
PHP, .Net ), and so are more used to theses kinds of structures/syntax

> I think an higher language makes the entry barrier smaller for new programmers:
> - real algorithms are not in hidden/drown malloc/free spagetti
> - no memory bugs
> - no security issues b/c of poorly thinked/coded memory management

I did talk about C-like syntax langages. For example mono, php, java, python.
Ypu know having things like : if-then-else

> What's more, with ugtk2 & mygtk2 it's easy to express a complex GUI
> with a compact
> & powerfull dialect which would need 10 times more code to do in C

I did look several times at ugtk2/mygtk2 :
- new dialect to learn
- issues in the predefined widgets
- syntax ( notably arg list ) hard to grasp, especially as there's no doc

I did try several time to fix some tools, and even some wizards. But
it was damn hard to read the code, understand it, grasp ugtk2/mygtk2

>> However we must admit that we are not going to rewrite all the
>> Mandriva tools ;-) However better documentation ( PerlDoc tags ) could
>> help a little.
>
> More doc would be better indeed.
>
>> - Mandriva tools are not used by others distributions ( except
>> PCLinuxOS, United Linux, and ... Mageia ) and so have few external
>> contributions : They notably lack visibility.
>
> void argument: SUSE tools (yast, ...) are only used on SUSE, and the like

indeed. But Suse have Novell behind with more money and dev than you.

--
Close the World, Open the Net
http://www.linux-wizard.net