[Mageia-discuss] Wish List

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sun Oct 3 01:22:51 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-02 17:26, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI a écrit :
> On Saturday 02 October 2010, my mailbox was graced by a missive
>   from Ahmad Samir<ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com>  who wrote:
>
>> You want more releases per year?
>
> No, I question whether we should be iron-bound to a fixed number, of whether
> we should wheel out a new release when it is ready and fit for consumption.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ron.

I think that 2 releases a year are more than enough. From the feedback I
get from other users locally that I help, after a while, they get the
impression that there must be something wrong with the distro to have so
many releases ALL the time. Too many releases may in fact hurt the brand
Mageia more that help it. It may be cool for the devs and power users to
have more releases, but for the vast majority, it is a huge time
commitment not to mention the potential of loss data due to lack of
knowledge of distro installation.

I would vote for 2 maximum but with more updating/backporting of newer
software versions. We have to take care of our user-base.

Marc