[Mageia-discuss] IRC community channels - need a ruling from the board

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sun Oct 3 21:38:05 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-03 15:12, Patricia Fraser a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> We've been (a few of us) hanging out in #mageia-uk, and the name of the
> channel has annoyed some folks from the Ukraine, who wanted that name.
> So, we have a nother (unofficial) channel now, called #mageia-gb.
> However, when we looked at the ISO country codes, we discover that
> Ukraine would actually be UA, and SE is Sweden, not the Sammi language,
> as some thought.
>
> SO, what we need to know is: are we going by geography (two-letter
> country codes as per the ISO list here:
> http://www.iso.org/iso/english_country_names_and_code_elements). or by
> language (such as en-gb)?
>
> If we could nail this down right away, it would save much grief later.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - --
> Patricia Fraser

My opinion is that we should try to follow ISO convention where it is
applicable. Therefore the IRC'S would be:

#mageia-gb for United Kingdom
#mageia-ua for Ukraine

The same should be applied for dates. We should also follow the date
format as set out by the ISO.

Let's follow standards where they are established.

Marc