[Mageia-discuss] IRC community channels - need a ruling from the board

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Mon Oct 4 02:00:01 CEST 2010

> I don't know if we do need channels for geographic locations. E.g. there is a
> channel #mageia-de which - in my opinion is for all people speaking German. I
> don't think separate channels for Germans, Austrians and Swiss would make
> sense.
> The reason for having those "sub channels" is, that people can speak in their
> own language...
>
> Oliver

The ISO country codes were devised for such situations. The recognized
German language code is now "ger" as seen by the ISO Country code
charts. It used to be "de", however, "ger" is more representative of the
spoken language and not of the country code and is now accepted as the
language code for the german language.. In this case, if you are
observing the ISO standard, #mageia-de signifies a German (country)
channel. To represent the language, #mageia-ger would be representative
of the german language speaking users. So, for example, where I live, it
is a german-speaking community, Oktoberfest in Waterloo Canada is about
to begin. The german-speaking community interested in speaking on an Irc
Mageia channel would then look for #mageia-ger channel.

It is a shame when we clamour for W3C and document standards adherence
to then dis-regard the use of ISO country and language standards.

Marc