[Mageia-discuss] IRC community channels - need a ruling from the board

Rory Albertyn rory.a at radiantnet.co.za
Mon Oct 4 12:58:30 CEST 2010

On 10/04/2010 10:24 AM, Patricia Fraser wrote:

> Hi Thorsten,
>

>> As already mentioned in this thread. We have to differentiate between
>> the language code and the country code. Both are standardized by the
>> ISO. The German language code for example is 'de' where the country
>> code ... hmmm if I look at the ISO 3166 the country code is DE too.
>> But nevertheless, what I want to say is, that an IRC Channel per
>> language is usefull but a channel per country is useless (IMHO). So
>> we should focus at the language code, if there is a need of a
>> standardization.
>>
> Um... no, that's exactly the opposite of why the question was asked.
> The UK (or GB) channel was opened *specifically* for local
> support/action/events, not primarily for language support, so we *do*
> want a locality/geographically-based channel identifier.
>
> Some other folks want language-based channel identifiers.

I'll go so far as to use South Africa as an example, We have many
official languages, using .za is possibly the best solution as it is
both the country and language code. I'm sure a good few other countries
have similar. I know for one, if i was wanting to get support in German,
I'd go to .de or French, I'd go to .fr. It's not that big a deal.
> Seems like we need a scheme that would incorporate both types of
> identifier, and maybe some explanation of the identifiers on the
> blog/chanserv/whatever.
>
> Also we've noted that we don't have a structure for naming ops and
> granting privileges and so forth - need to think about that before the
> trolls turn up.

I have over 15 years experience on IRC as both a Network admin right
down to channel op, I can assure you, no structure will prevent trolls.
What one can do is limit the trouble they cause as they cause it. I
suggest the various Mageia channels get to know the server staff in
#help and get brushed up on commands  used on the type of IRCD that
Freenode uses. As for naming ops, I'd steer away from granting ops to
friends, but rather give it to those noteworthy and capable persons we
have at our disposal.

Rory Albertyn (Gripen on Freenode)