[Mageia-discuss] Mailing List to Web Forum Bidirectional Gateway

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Mon Oct 4 16:58:30 CEST 2010

>>> devs or pakagers upset by mindless discussions will just drop your
>>> bowl :)
>>>
>>> and that's precisely what we should try to avoid :)
>>>

>> Not quite sure what you mean. So by letting devs pick out the
>> conversations that they would like to choose and follow, they will not
>> want to participate?
>>
>> Marc
>>
> I mean that if you flood them with forum posts by users happy to post
> all their lives into the bridge devs will add a rule to drop
> automatically everything coming from the forum (and grunt about wasted
> bandwidth)
>
> And if they dont use the rule approach they will simply unsuscribe...
> you will not force devs to cooperate... you will not have them cooperate
> without making big efforts to filter topics they don't want to see.
>
> They are skilled enough to make all your efforts to force them useless
> however hard you try.
>
> And the global community (all contrib and users included) is to have
> devs employed to tasks they alone are able to do :)
>
> So this is *also* in the best users interest to avoid bothering devs
> with useless mail reading or questions that support or advanced users
> can perfectly deal with :)
>
> Maât

Ahh, I see. There seems to be a communication problem here. My apologies
if I was not clear.

I was taking the view that with the bidirectional gateway, allowing the
devs to see and participate in user discussions and they would clearly
not be forced to read any threads/discussions that they were not
interested in.

And you are talking about users participating in dev discussions and
devs not having the patience for "with useless mail reading or questions
that support or advanced users can perfectly deal with".

So, in a way, we are talking about the same thing but from a different
perspective.

So, this thread is about the merits of a mailist-forum offering
bidirectional gateway allowing all people to see/communicate with each
other regardless of the means, mailist, irc, forums etc. If I understand
your argument, you are saying that devs may not be interested in having
non-knowledgeable users taking part in their discussions as they could
find this annoying and they could possibly just quit participating in
discussions where they are overwhelmed with "novice" input.

My argument, is that devs would then have, by the simple process of the
bidirectional gateway, the ability to "see" everyone's conversations and
that, whichever conversation would look interesting to them, they could
join in.

Under this whole umbrella everyone would of course have to adhere to the
normal netiquette rules of conduct as laid out for mailists; irc,
forums. So, participation for everyone becomes a choice of their own and
if a discussion thread garners so much attention that it is overwhelmed
with questions by "less-informed" users/devs, then you could either
ignore their contributions to the discussion or try to inform them of
the issues. Often times this will fix the problem.

I have been following the thread on mirror infrastructure and have not
contributed to any of the discussions, but why would I not be permitted
to sit in on the sidelines?

Marc