[Mageia-discuss] Wish List

André Machado afmachado at dcemail.com
Tue Oct 5 01:53:26 CEST 2010

> Apparently Kppp will be part
> of the install package with KDE installs.

If kppp will be a standard in the KDE installation, all right, but we must
remember those who will use other graphical environments. So GNOMEPPP
should also be a standard, not to mention that we will use XFCE or LXDE.

> I prefer external modems, less driver problems.

Indeed, me too, but they're generally most expensive and, sometimes,
depending on the place, hard to find.

For the various providers, it is clear that the ultimate responsibility
lies with the user, but we can give a force.

I remember that Mandriva 2006 was an assistant for ADSL connections where
we could choose our country, state, city and operator - or something,
someone please confirm. A Brazilian discontinued distro, Kurumin, had a
dialer dialup done with Kommander with phones and configs of several
national providers.

Of course I'm not suggesting that we collect the dial settings and phone
numbers for each provider on earth - that would be, perhaps, impossible -
but we could arrange, for now, a section on the wiki with settings tips
for the most common providers - these tips written by the users of the
distro - and in the future, maybe create some application where the user
can select their country, state, city and provider and the system does
the rest. Yes, it will be too much work, but the payoff will be huge.