[Mageia-discuss] Mageia governance model draft

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 6 08:58:22 CEST 2010

"Romain d'Alverny" <rdalverny at gmail.com> schrieb am 2010-10-06
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 20:42, Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > In technical things I support two or more levels. There's much to learn
> > for little community packagers as myself as there is in any field for
> > the newcommers.
> But in last resort, not only involved, but committed people get a
> decisive voice. In teams, those committed people are those who were
> recognized as such by their peers, through the mentoring process.
>
> Which process is not an exclusive one (keep "bad" newcomers out), but
> an inclusive one (welcome and train them before they get full hands on
> the infrastructure). And that, again, wouldn't prevent non-'masters'
> and 'non-apprentices' to provide/contribute something to the project,
> only should it be reviewed and committed to the project by those team
> members.
As said before. There is no problem with having "masters" and "padawans" (I
would prefer that term to apprentice :D ) when it comestotechnical decisions.
I hope that all (orat least most) people involvedin mageia will let the people
with the technical knowledge do the technical decisions (althoug some
discussions on the mls do read different).
I do understand and support the need for reviewing the work ofnew packagers,
correcting it and teaching those new packagers how to build better packages
but that is - as I said - a technical decision, in which nothing at all can be
said against a master-padawan-thing. Even if those new packagers have
builtrpms for years (because I have seen quite some rpms fromlocal communities
whose spec files made me shudder).
But I do believe, when it comes to policy decisions (like electing board
members and so on) there should not be those who have a vote and those
whodoesn't. Certainly there must be some kind of differentiation between active
community members and passers-by who just want to "troll vote". But as you
described it initially, a majority of the active community members (like those
poor folks who did community work for years now in their local communities)
would be excluded from deciding the directionthe community as a whole does
take.

Oliver