[Mageia-discuss] Wish List

doug dougrb at o2.co.uk
Fri Oct 8 18:53:39 CEST 2010

On 06/10/10 15:12, doug wrote:
> On 05/10/10 14:34, Marc Paré wrote:
>>>
>>> Wouldn't this be the basis for including, say, a default
>>> dongle
>>> installation and a number of representative providers or
>>> appropriate links?
>>>
>>> Doug
>>>

>> This would make the job of the maintainer of these setups
>> quite a dedicated job. Providers come and go depending on
>> their financial success. When they are successful, the get
>> bought out. It would be best, in my opinion, as a FAQ or
>> Wiki item that would somehow be available to users at the
>> time of installation. A text file does not take a lot of
>> space on a disc.
>>
>> Marc
>>

> Sounds reasonable, if the basic dongle installation was
> included on the distro.
>
> Doug
<Apologies - I've lost your post about the kernel not
recognising your dongle; and please forgive me if this is
already known to you>

My dongle wasn't recognised as such by the MDV 2009.1 kernel
either.
I had to install
lsusb
usb-storage
usbserial.
usb-modeswitch (from rpmfind.net)
wvdial
(kppp I had already installed).

As far as I know usb-modeswitch isn't dongle-specific.

However it was essential to attach the dongle BEFORE booting
up for the mode switch to take place, otherwise it was just
recognised as a simple memory stick.
Then
ls -alrt /dev/ttyUSB* showed
/dev/ttyUSB0     /dev/ttyUSB1     /dev/ttyUSB2     /dev/ttyUSB3

After that there were some configuration steps to carry out.

Doug