[Mageia-discuss] IRC community channels - need a ruling from the board

andré andr55 at laposte.net
Sun Oct 10 06:38:45 CEST 2010

Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
> Let's see other projects:
>
>   * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate#International has no
> strict scheme (although it looks like a 2-letters ISO for language
> primarily)
>   * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/ChannelNaming has a strict one (2
> letters ISO for country ONLY - no language-based channel)
>   * http://irc.mozilla.org/ has no strict scheme
>   * http://wiki.debian.org/IRC has no strict scheme
>   * others?
>
> What matters more anyway is the index we provide to route people to
> their preferred channel.
>

> So, I would suggest this for #mageia-{suffix}:
>   0. 2-letters ISO code for _language_ (as we do today, already);
>   1. 2-letters code _may_ be used for location/country coding;
>   2. in case of conflict between rules 0 and 1, ask IRC management team
> - and rule 0 is most likely to  apply anyway;
>   3. so full location/country name is encouraged for location coding;
>
> In this case, #mageia-uk would go for Ukrainian language and
> #mageia-unitedkingdom for the United Kingdom; given the context, both
> would encouraged to put a welcome message on their channel in the
> coming days to help people re-route themselves in case needed.

How about using 2-letter lower case ISO 3166 code for language
+ optional country code, which could be
either a 2 or 3-letter upper case ISO 639 code
or a country name ?

e.g. en-UK or en-UnitedKingdom could be used for english-language in
United Kingdom.

And if a multilingual country wants a multilanguage channel, they would
just not indicate the language.  (i.e. if a country code is used, it
would always be upper case.)
(e.g. ZA or ZAF for South Africa; CA or CAN for Canada)

> That would also mean, for instance, that #mageia-br would go for
> Breton - Celtic language, not for Brasil that would need
> #mageia-brasil instead.

Or #mageia-pt-BR for Brasil ?

> Cheers,
>
> Romain