[Mageia-discuss] Install Mageia from Windows

André Machado afmachado at dcemail.com
Tue Oct 12 03:43:33 CEST 2010

> Nothing against putting MS progs on the CD, but do not forget there are people
> out there who do not have Windows...

I don't have Windows, anyway. My intent is help winusers to try Mageia. Much
distros, like Slackware, came with Win Applications to this end. Old versions of
Conectiva and Red Hat, too.

Think that a user wants to create a bootable Mageia pendrive to install the
system in him netbook. What is more cheap? Instruct him to find and download a
Windows application to make this task or say: "You can use program xxx that is
in wintools folder at installation disk?".

Slackware, nowadays, came with Smart Boot Manager, a floppy disk boot manager to
start computer from any drive, even it don't be recognized as bootable by BIOS
and a lot of RawWrite to write it to a floppy. Of course we need not reach this
point, but I think that installation / live disk must provide everything what
user will nedd.

Moreover, these applications are usually not very large.