[Mageia-discuss] about the Mageia Code of Conduct

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Oct 20 15:59:11 CEST 2010

Le mercredi 20 octobre 2010 à 15:06 +0200, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2010/10/20 Frederic Janssens <fjanss at gmail.com>:
> >
> > So I think that should be reflected in this document by avoiding to suggest
> > that one must be in the one or the other category. We should emphasise that
> > there is a continuum of involvement, not a jump into another status.
>
> IMHO it is reflecting the 2 groups very well. The second part does not
> say that users are not involved, quite the contrary. It says that
> users can add value to the project through their support. This is
> exactyl what I've been doing for mandriva and will do for Mageia. I do
> not see me as a contributor who improves the distribution because I've
> never added one line of code to any part of the distribution and most
> likely I will not do it for Mageia because I do not have the necessary
> knowledge/skills. I am a user who adds value to the project by
> supporting other users with answers, documentation, translation,
> communication, etc.

Well, this is a form of contribution, yes.
So you are a contributor, because you contribute.

In the past and historically, the group of people who participated in
cooker externally to mandrakesoft/mandriva were called "contributers",
derived likely from the fact we were sending packages in contribs.

Then, the bug triaging was opened to people, the translation too ( in
fact, it was before ), but the name contributers became synonym with
packagers ( and also coder ). And cooker users became the name of people
who were working with test, discussions, etc, on cooker.

Mail alias, and ssh/svn access were given to packagers, translators ( ie
"contributors" ), and the other type of contribution, while not
forbidden, didn't really grew ( ie few people contributed artwork, or
communication, etc ).

Part of the problem was due to the fact that only visible contribution
were seen as technical, and because Mandriva didn't really opened
contributions in some area ( even if, imho, there was no need to wait on
mdv for this ).

So now, we want to recognize all kind of contribution, which seems to me
a fair goal, as contribution to a project is not only technical.

People who contribute, whatever they contribute ( except contributing to
my anger ), are contributors. So you are a contributor.

If we use word in the way most people will expect them, things will be
much clearer to everybody. And the way the word "contributor" was
twisted in Mandriva is something we should avoid, cause it lead people
to think the only possible way to help were technical.

> Reading the 2 descriptions carefully reveals that both groups are
> defined very well. It's nowhere written that somebody can not be a
> member of both groups (if I could code or package I'd see me in both
> groups).
>
> But this is only my 2K Euros worth.

Wow, inflation is quite bad in Germany :)

--
Michael Scherer