[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 19:47:47 CEST 2010

Op woensdag 20 oktober 2010 15:41:05 schreef Kristoffer Grundström:
> For newbies I think it's a great idea to make the installer easy to
> understand.
>
> Therefor I'd like to suggest that the installer would function like a
> questionaire-form.
>
> For instance:
>
> Do you intend to install Mageia on a:
>
> 1. Desktop.
> 2. Laptop.
> 3. Mobile
>
> What arch does your CPU have?
>
> 1. i586.
> 2. x86_64
>
> And so on..........................to tailor-make the installation
> after what he/she wants it to be like.
> I know it would take some time to finish it, but the result will be in
> their favour.

> When it comes to the development of the unstable version, why not do
> nightly build-isos?
>
> That would help users to install Mageia by NOT using the netboot-iso
> or by upgrading from the stable which isn't recommended today & to see
> where there are any issues. Sometimes the netboot-iso won't install
> 'cause the mirror isn't answering properly.
>
> /Kristoffer

imo, this kind of thing is better, if one would like to make a custom iso, in
a webapplication project:

you fill in a couple of questionaires; and you see the total estimated size of
the iso file. afterwards there could even be manual package selection.

and press submit and you get an iso file to download.

for the installer, newbies don't want any questions at all; they would like to
prefer everything just installs and works.

even the DE choice is bordering on the "maybe too far". allthough i would
allow it, since it gives an example look.

the group selection of "office, docs, devel, gaming, servers, ..." is enough,
imo.