[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Dale Huckeby spock at evansville.net
Sun Oct 24 03:17:34 CEST 2010

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Michael Scherer wrote:

> Le dimanche 24 octobre 2010 à 00:59 +0200, Tux99 a écrit :
>> On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Dale Huckeby wrote:
>>
>>> One problem in choosing packages is that for many a description of what
>>> the app does is sparse or nonexistent. And often the description is of
>>> the form: defoliant_2.35.rpm. Install this if you need a defoliant. When
>>> I see descriptions like this my first impulse is to wonder, Why did you
>>> even bother? Complete descriptions of what each app does, including
>>> explaining under what circumstances the user might or might not need it,
>>> would go a long way towards making noobies feel less lost. Some apps do
>>> an admirable job of explanation. Many don't.
>>
>> I 100% agree with that and this is something that the packagers really
>> should do. What's the point in packaging up a great useful app, but then
>> saving time on the description so nobody but a few insiders use it,
>> because nobody know what it is for?
>>
>> Even I still come across packages I have never heard of and then wonder
>> what they are for, immagine a newbie who doesn't really know any of the
>> Linux apps by name.
>
> Well, writing better description is a task that do not requires
> technical knowledge, and that any packagers could do, if people send a
> patch.
>
> Since I never received anything for my own packages for this kind of
> problem, shall I assume that my packages are fine ?

Since I don't have technical knowledge but do like writing descriptions
that might be something I could do. But I don't know how to "send a
patch", unless by that you simply mean including in an email the text
of the description. Your packages probably are fine, but like many
nontechnical users I don't have much idea who maintains which packages.

Dale Huckeby