[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 24 09:21:59 CEST 2010

2010/10/24 Thomas Backlund <tmb at iki.fi>:
> Tux99 skrev 24.10.2010 05:40:
>>
>> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Michael Scherer wrote:
>>
>>> I think I demonstrated in the past that constant friendliness toward
>>> users is not one of my distinctive characteristics.
>>
>> Well, that might have been fine as a Mandriva employee, but as part of a
>> community distro I personally consider you attitude out of place and not
>> in line with the spirit of Mageia.
>>

> And the spirit of Mageia also states that its a community distribution where
> _everyone_ can (should?) help...

Yes, both statements are true and according to the CoC shopuld not be necessary.

Now, we can go on like in the previous years passing the task from
here to there and back.
Or we can start to fix the problem.

1. Descriptions in RPMs
Whenever somebody finds a missing or bad description in a package he
should send a mail to the packager, ideally with the description, so
the packager only has to C&P it into his package.

2. What can we do to improve the package description in the
"Individual package selection during system installation? Most
descriptions there only say "Important" or "Comfortable" or some other
nonsense like that. I really wonder who on earth had that idea!
We need descriptions of the package, what it does. The description
should be available for translation, so that according to the set
language the user sees the package description in his language.

3. The same is needed in rpmdrake.

In other words:
We need a way to add descriptions to packages. These descriptions must
be available for the installer in "Individual package selecteion" and
there must be a way to have .po files for the translators.

Is there something which can be done without passing the ball to and
fro like a tennis match?

--
wobo