[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Dale Huckeby spock at evansville.net
Sun Oct 24 17:43:47 CEST 2010

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Michael Scherer wrote:

> But I think that if people knew that there is collaboration between
> employee and non-employee, they would have feel more welcome. And from
> what I read, you didn't know, so you were cautious, which seemed
> natural. That's our fault, and that's something we tried to fix with
> assembly ( without much sucess on the first try ), something I tried to
> fix by being present at every possible free software fair ( without much
> success too )

I know and suspect many others know that Mandriva is created/maintained
by employees plus volunteers. Not knowing that isn't what makes potential
volunteers hesitate (in my opinion). It's not a matter of feeling
UNwelcome. It's an ABSENSE of the existing team going out of their way
to invite in potential contributors, holding their hand, showing them
where to go, who to talk to, what process to follow, etc. As you imply
above, it's lack of effective communication. Perhaps it's hard for
people on the "inside" to realize how lost potential contributors on the
"outside" feel unless there's a concerted effort to include them in and
guide them through the process. Maybe there should be a person dedicated
to bringing in and guiding new contributors, someone with really good
communication skills. Also, is there a list anywhere of packages that
need a maintainer, so new contributors would have a better idea of where
help is needed?

Dale Huckeby