[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Mon Oct 25 05:59:25 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-24 20:19, Wayne Sallee a écrit :
> Michael Scherer wrote on 10/23/2010 08:52 PM:
>> Le dimanche 24 octobre 2010 à 02:09 +0200, Tux99 a écrit :
>>>
>>> Come on... the effort of adding a decent description is minimal for a
>>> packager, the effort for a normal user of making a patch is much
>>> higher, this is not a very friendly answer towards the users...
>> I think I demonstrated in the past that constant friendliness toward
>> users is not one of my distinctive characteristics.
>>
>> The patch arguent is invalid, because people can also send mail, like
>> "here is a better description of package $FOO because I didn't
>> understood the current one and I wanted to help".
>>
>> So while sending a email and finding the packager email can be hard for
>> some people, I doubt that sending a email is hard for everybody.
>>
>> If writing a decent description is easy and almost effortless, and if
>> sending a email is easy, then what is difficult into doing both ?
> I agree that it is only logical to contribute by e-mailing the packager
> about an improvement need in the package, but some packagers don't want
> you e-mailing them about their package.
>
> As a community distro, we want to try to make it comfortable and easy
> for everyone to get involved.
>
> Knowing that many packagers are not going to want you e-mailing them
> about their package, reduces the number of people that will take the
> time to e-mail them with such contribution. Of course what makes it
> easier for one, makes it harder for another, so there needs to be
> balance there. Sometimes our expectations are expecting too much from
> the other who is working a lot of thankless hours to keep the distro going.
>
> It's all about balance and efficiency, and making it easy for people to
> start contributing, and realizing that some jobs are more time consuming
> than we might think.
>
> Developing systems and protocols help keep things running efficient, and
> moving forward.
>
> Wayne Sallee
> Wayne at WayneSallee.com

All of this talk about descriptions make it sound like there should be
more of a formalized process whereby:

* the packager gets the package ready

*when the package is ready (in Cauldron) a message is sent out to a team
of "package description users" who make arrangements for the updated
description and translations to be included with the package

* when the updated description and package are ready they are then
processed as per usual

I think that it is pretty clear that packagers don't really want to deal
with updating description, but the users would like to have updated
descriptions. So, what if there was a group of users in charge of
updating the package descriptions/translations where needed? Would this
work?

Marc