[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Mon Oct 25 06:31:21 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-25 00:12, Kira a écrit :
> 在 Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:59:25 +0800, Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com>寫道:
>> I think that it is pretty clear that packagers don't really want to
>> deal with updating description, but the users would like to have
>> updated descriptions. So, what if there was a group of users in charge
>> of updating the package descriptions/translations where needed? Would
>> this work?
> The problem is that currently if we want to translate the description, then
>
> we have to modify the SPEC of the RPM, which can only be done with
> packager.
>
> Like the previous messages, we have 2 methods to choose:
>
> 1 .po files for 1 package
>
> or
>
> 1 .po files for multiple packages
>
> The first one would cause many .po files to maintain, while the other
>
> cause the maintainence hard( too complicate).
> ====
> I think maybe a more aggresive way is better:
>
> Make the detailed description available only for programs, not packages.
>
> Currently the RPMDRAKE is packages based, which is hard for newbies to find
>
> programs they need and the amount of the description need to maintain
> also scares
>
> everyone off.
>
> The "Programs with GUI" option is the first step, but I think we should
> step further,
>
> let people install programs, not packages. Therefore, we can ease both
> the difficulty
>
> of maintain descriptions and installation harsh.

Ah! I guess my choice of words. I am still finding my way around the
jargon. I would have meant all of this for software. Yes. This would all
make sense.

I agree with you. And as stated earlier, often the description has been
updated on the programme's website and there is little fiddling around
to include it.

I also believe that we should try to help the devs as much as possible
and make their work as much as "developer" by nature as possible. We can
take care of the more mundane tasks for them. Let's let them code to
their heart's delight and we will just gain more from their hard and
generous work. Just as they will with us.

BTW, in my opinion, the default GUI setting in the MCC was not a right
choice. It excluded too many pieces of software for users. I usually
recommended people to select the "All" setting, and from there to search
for the ideal programme. There are just not enough GUI packages in the
repos to make it fun in that particular sections. Everything should be
available to the user.

Marc