[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Wed Oct 27 20:31:52 CEST 2010

Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2010/10/26 George J. Walsh<gjwalsh at dscvcp.org>:

>>> Sounds good to me too!
>>>
>>> I fourth it.
>>>
>>> Marc
>>>
>> One word of support comes to mind for this one:
>>
>> Essential
>>
> The problem is:
> If you hide too much ("Programs with GUI") the forums are crowded with
> threads like
>   - "Install foo from the MCC"
>   - "I can't find it in the software management"
>   - "Did you set your media?"
>   - "Yes, foo is not there."
>   - "Did you change view to 'All'?"
>   - "Ah! Now I see it - very confusing!"
> There were times when such postings were more than 10 per month!
>
> If you hide too few like "All" the unexperienced user is confused. He
> will be surely confused by a list of options he hasn't any clue what
> they mean.
>
> A solution could be to
> 1. hide everything but the application packages (no matter if GUI or CLI)
> 2. Insert such a list of options but give it an "expert" tag.
> 3. The most important: make a search result visible also if the result
> is something which would be hidden otherwise.
>
> Example:
> gstreamer-plugin-devel (don't care about the name) would be hidden in
> standard view. But if the user writes "gstreamer" into the search
> field it shouold be displayed in the search result view.
>
> This way we could even keep the current order with "programs with gui"
> as default. When the user no searches for 'mc' he will see it in the
> list of search results, although 'mc' would not be displayed in
> "Programs with GUI" view.
>
> Does anybody understand what I wrote? Can't explain it in better words. :)

Seems clear to me.  That's a workable approach.
However, I'd prefer something a little different.

If the packages are displayed by category, libraries are mostly already
separated, so they don't pose a problem.  (But my approach would work
with them as well.)

Localisations could be grouped in a folding entry (much like
subdirectories in the Nautilus file browser), openable with a click to
see all the localisations.  Thus avoiding seeing more than one such line
except when one wishes to access localisation packages.
The idea to only display localisations installed is good.  They could
also be displayed separately from folded non-installed localisations.

We could even have a global option to display/install only certain
localisations.
This could be used not only for separate packages, but to avoid
installing localisation files inside a package that one has no intention
of using, thus reducing a lot of clutter - and wasted disk space.
(Personally, I don't need anything more than the various French and
English localisations.)
This alone would be a very good idea.

Subsidiary packages associated with a particular application could also
be folded into one line by default, as well.

With this approach, we won't need a "hide everything but the application
packages" option, as that is essentially what would appear by default.
"Experts" need only expand the folded lines to see all the hidden packages.

Also, we could have more than 2 levels if we find in useful in the
future, for more finely tuning the display.
Note that in the Microsoft environment, this approach has been used for
the installation of many application suites.  WordPerfect suite comes to
mind.  (More than 10 years ago ;) )

In any case, Rpmdrake needs to be enhanced.

my 2 cents :)

- André