[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Thu Oct 28 03:41:51 CEST 2010

Le mercredi 27 octobre 2010 à 21:13 -0400, andre999 a écrit :

> Why not have "one" ISOs on "small" DVDs ?
> Say 1G, 1,5G instead of 4,7G
> We don't have to insist on CDs.
> Maybe call them "one plus" ISOs ?

This was said numerous time in the past , but I guess not enough since
people keep asking for it.

There is people who ask for cd, in brazil, angola or other country with
slightly less developed hardwares at their disposition.

So to satisfy them, cd isos still need to be used.

> Localising the package descriptions shouldn't take a lot of space,
> compared with localising the software included.

Take a look at the number I gave :
"Synthesis is 750 k big, hdlist is 46 m big."

So what you want would requires a third format for indexes, because
hdlist is too big and not flexible enough, (iirc), and synthesis is
unsuitable too by design ( that just value separated by @ ). Synthesis
is more ever quite fragile, and adding description would surely break it
(imho).

> I really don't understand the real advantage of separating the package
> description from the package.  To save 1% of ISO space ?  At what price
> complexity ?

As said, the synthesis format take less space than the complete format.
So for 45 mo, yes, the complexity of having 2 formats is worth.

--
Michael Scherer