[Mageia-discuss] what aabout an automated way of doing it?

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Oct 29 21:56:39 CEST 2010

Renaud MICHEL a écrit :
> On vendredi 29 octobre 2010 at 16:50, Catalin Florin RUSSEN wrote :
>
>> You cannot read the mind of an user, but you can install an agent (small
>> app)  that register his habits, his installed, applications, his desktop
>> parameters in a central account and reproduce them on a new install, ie.
>> from version Mageia 2011 to Mageia 2012 :)
>>
> Desktop and other applications configuration are stored in the user's home
> directory, so if you have a separate /home partition (which mandriva does by
> default, I guess mageia will too), even if you re-install you won't lose
> your configuration.

Yes indeed.  I should have thought of that, as I have always used a
separate /home partition.
So that makes the idea workable, without any security risks associated
with a remote server.
For the first release, at least, Mageia will be generally following
Mandriva defaults.
And upgrades will be possible from Mandriva to Mageia.

> But it is much easier to upgrade instead of doing a fresh install, that will
> keep all your installed programs (except for conflicts) and your system
> configuration.

Exactly.  Also much faster.
But there are times where a clean install is advisable.

> As a personal note, I don't like the idea of a daemon that would register
> what I do with my computer.

Neither do I.  Security and privacy risks.

- André