[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Morgan Leijström fri at tribun.eu
Sun Oct 31 14:14:03 CET 2010

Den 2010-10-31 02:12:29 skrev Graham Lauder:
> On Saturday 30 Oct 2010 02:47:26 Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
> > On Friday 29 October 2010, my mailbox was graced by a missive
> >
> >  from Kira <elegant.pegasus at gmail.com> who wrote:
> > > This one is already been replied: In some place in this world, some
> > > countries don't have enough bandwidth to support such big downloading
> > > data(May cause days...).
> > > A might perfect solution is that making custom images according to the
> > > need of downloader, but currently we don't seem to have such plan.
> >
> > Fot such a case, a CD .iso that does a minimal install (with all locales
> > offered), and leave the big packages (OO, Gimp, all the games etc) to be
> > downloaded at leisure later.
>
> Oh god nonono! You obviously have a broadband connection.

Well, it is stil a good idea then, as only the needed packages need be
downloaded.

> CD or DVD, either is too big to download on my dialup.  a 700meg cd would
> take a week to download considering that I have to keep phone line free
> during the day and early evening.

I remeber when i also had to have a CD running for a week.

I would have appreciated if i could geta base install, and then just add what
big parts I really needed.

> (that's of course as long as the server
> supports resuming and the download doesn't break, which of course you don't
> find out until the end, then you have to start all over. :/

We should always make sure to have bittorrent working.
Bittorrent checks and auto re-downloads broken parts.
It can even repair broken isos.

Unfortunately *some* people use ISPs that supress bittorent traffic.

> People with limited connectivity want to be able to obtain media with
> everything they are likely to need plus all the options if possible.
> Please, DVD and a way to obtain the media at a reasonable price.

Yes full DVD(s) for thoose that need it would be good for them.