[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Mon Nov 1 15:12:27 CET 2010

Le 2010-11-01 08:50, André Machado a écrit :
> I fully agree and say more:
>
> Mandriva One has six different isos for each language, what can confuse user;
> Ubuntu has only one iso with all languages, but the basic. Why not create a
> Mageia One with only basic languages? Rest of translations can be downloaded
> during installation.
>
> And I agree: we can do something like a "Mageia Update Pack" when each month we
> create an updates iso with all updates from last month.

OK, you know what I'll say to this, I like it!

Remembering that we are trying to keep the amount of data down for
dial-up connections:

Re: Mageia One: I think the idea behind the iso's was to try to divide
earth into 6 "language" areas in the hopes of supplying an iso that was
specifically tragetted to each specific areas. If we were to offer only
1 basic iso how much more data would a user have to potentially need to
download and would this add a considerable time to her/his download time?

As the original thread spoke of supplying a member with a Mageia disc
from a local Community, would the Community be able to provide a copy of
the Mageia One disc along with the translation required by the user?
Would this be possible?

Re: the main Mageia ISO: a "Mageia Update Pack" would be great. I
wonder, why would Mageia not offer this by default for download? Is
there a reason for this?

As the original thread was about supplying users with a copy of a Mageia
disk, the local Community could then supply the user with a copy of the
"Mageia Update Pack" disc.

Marc