[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Tue Nov 2 06:49:16 CET 2010

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Frank Griffin wrote:

> Morgan Leijström wrote:
> > I believe it would be possible to update the isos say each month, and made so
> > it by a script in an installed system could be used as update repo too. (it
> > mounts the CD and registers it as a update repo for the normal updater to
> > use)
> >
> > It has packages from main update repo replacing updated versions.
> > It does NOT use chauldron.
> > - Almost like we have a new release each month, but it really is just updates,
> > no revolutionary changes.
> >

> Weak point:
>
> Unless you are prepared to do full intensive QA on the updated distro,
> the quality of these updated ISOs can be significantly lower than the
> quality of the original release ISO.  Since it will look, for all
> intents and purposes, like the release ISO, that level of quality will
> be what people expect of it.

Nonsense. The normal updates are not any more unstable than the original
release, rather the contrary.
Of course occasional glitches can happen but they happen equally on the
original install CDs (as has been proven again and again).

What difference is there between someone who installs from the original
release CD and then applies updates vs. installing from a CD where the
updates are already included?

I'm all for the idea of updated ISOs that include all updates, too.