[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Nov 2 14:27:19 CET 2010

Le 2010-11-02 01:18, herman a écrit :
> On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 03:00 -0700, Philippe DIDIER wrote:
>> If someone installs Mageia with a DVD or CD provided by somebody, he
>> will get more and more rpms to update as much as time goes on.... (for
>> instance if Mageia 2011 appears april 2011, I send a DVD to my friend
>> who installs it on his new computer in september 2011 .... and he will
>> be asked to update his installed Mageia)
>> If he cannot download a CD iso because of his connection, he cannot
>> download 700 Mo of updates !!!
> IMHO continuously updating your systems has little real value and
> potentially has very large negative value.
>
> I run my systems with no maintenance for years on end. The more
> important a server is, the less maintenance I do, since most problems
> are caused by finger trouble and bad updates.  It is much more cost
> effective to lock a system down and then leave it alone, than to fiddle
> with it all the time and suffer periodic screw-ups.
>
> A yearly release of NEW ISOs should be good enough for people with a
> slow net connection and they will likely have far less trouble than
> people doing rolling updates.
>
> Just my 0.0001 cent's worth

Let's not forget the main issue is to provide ISO's through Mageia
Community groups to potential users who cannot get ISO's from their slow
connection. Some people cannot afford to have their telephone busy with
a download lasting for a day or so.

This issue is also about providing an ISO to users with no connection to
the internet. This issue is NOT about people who have high speed
connection to the internet

In these cases, the idea is that the local Mageia Community group could
supply an ISO with hopefully all updates to the new user.

Marc