[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Nov 2 15:51:51 CET 2010

Le 2010-11-02 10:04, André Machado a écrit :
> Let's not forget that a new ISO each month will require more disk
> space on server!
>
> Differences behind these "Update Packs" and Caldron can be that
> MUP will be secure and tested regular updates, and Caldron not,
> right? So, if MUP will be adopted, I suggest put ISOs on server
> by two months, after this they will be deleted.
>
> Of curse, if local communities assume this work, disk space will
> not be a issue and Mageia will can put in its website a
> disclaimer that they're not responsable by that 3rd party ISOS
> and recommend official ISOS for production environment.

Hi André

I would find this counter-productive.

I am just curious. As I am new to all of this.

When I install Mandriva, I download the ISO from the Mandriva site, then
after the install, I go to Google, Google "Easy URPMI" and install the
official repositories and the PLF repositories. I then do an "update".
On Mandriva 2010.1 there are now almost 450 updated that come through.

Now, do these updates come from Mandriva? If yes, are these updates not
tested in the same way as the ISO packages? If yes, would it not be
possible to construct and ISO with the "official updates" already
applied? If yes, would it not make sense that Mandriva stand behind this
product with the updates? If yes, then would the Communities be able to
offer these to people as official ISO's from Mandriva?

Note that you could then just replace the "Mandriva" name with the
"Mageia" name.

Marc