[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Margot margot at otfordduckscomputers.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 09:00:29 CET 2010

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 13:51:25 -0400
Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com> wrote:

> Le 2010-11-03 12:23, Kristoffer Grundström a écrit :
> > Since Linux is about opensource & Mageia is built with it,
> > could we just include programs only based on opensource?
> >
> > For example:
> >
> > Gnash instead of Adobe's Flashplayer
> > Java-1.6.0-openjdk instead of Java-1.6.0-sun
> >
> > Perhaps an option in the installer to choose between them?
> >
> > Also...........graphically I feel the installer & its layout is
> > kinda boring.
> >
> > Have you compared with other installers to make a better one?
> >
> > I know that Windows is closed source, BUT they DO have a nice
> > graphical installer.
> >
> > I'm talking about using Aero-effects.
> >
> > Here's an example of the installation-process:
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgMNRt11ybU
> >
> > Thank you for reading.
>
> Hi Kristopher:
>
> We are talking about a person who has dial-up internet or no
> internet connection who then asks the local Mageia Community for
> a copy of Mageia. We were then wondering if the Mageia Community
> could give him a Mageia disk with all of the 400+ updates already
> installed.
>
> At this point we are talking about the possibilities of how to do
> this and why is it that Mandriva/Mageia does not already provide
> and ISO disk with all of the upgrades already installed.
>
> Marc

Blank CDs and DVDs are very cheap now in most Western countries,
and they weigh very little, so rather than wasting packagers' time
creating new ISOs all the time why don't we just offer to send 2
discs - one with the original ISO and one with all recent updates?

Communities - and individuals willing to post to others where there
is no local community - could then keep a stock of the original ISO
discs and burn as required up-to-date copies of the contents of the
'updates' branch of the appropriate tree from a mirror.

--
Margot