[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Juergen Harms Juergen.Harms at unige.ch
Fri Nov 5 15:01:19 CET 2010

On 11/05/2010 06:55 AM, andre999 wrote:
> I would make all delta updates relative to the distro release, i.e.
> - main = foo-1
> - upd_full = foo-2, foo-3, foo-4, etc

I have a feeling that just distributing snapshots of the update
repositories (they are relative the release) is a wise thing to start
with. That is simple, does not require new software and is easy to put
in place. If Mageia wants to go further, it might be a good step to
learn from (how much is it used, what has a tendency to go wrong, do
people have difficutlies ...) and base furthers steps upon.

Re risk - updates have a certain risk that an update introduces
problems, you cant get away from that, however the packages are distributed.

One thought based on dealing with risks and being selective with
introducing updates: how about adding to a DVD with update packages also
a structure (plain file ?) with the corresonponding security advisories?
This entire discusion is on making life easy for users with bad
connectivity - they might like to avoid fetching advisories over the net
also.

But I really think that some learning is necessary. How many users will
need such a facility? how much investment is justified in creating the
facility?