[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sat Nov 6 19:40:48 CET 2010

Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2010/11/6 Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI<renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org>:
>
>> I understand bending backward to help those people in backward countries who
>> cannot download, but should we be bothered with those, in the first world, who
>> are too stingy to get a proper Internet connection ?
>>
> What is such a question supposed to be?
> I do not see any difference between backward or forward countries, I
> only see users with large bandwidth and such with small bandwidth. You
> may never heard about it but there are large regions in the so-called
> "First World" which are not yet connected to the internet in a proper
> way (I know regions in Germany where you are lucky to have a dial-up
> connection). As I learned there are also regions in the US which are
> as far industrialized as your favourite "backward country".
>
> Then there is the cost of fast connections - not everybody has the
> money to pay for 6MBit lines in countries where such connections are
> expensive. And not everybody can put internet costs on top of his
> priority list.
>
> Yes, we should be bothered with those.

Exactly.
I'm in the region of Montréal, Canada, where broadband is common, but
high bandwidth is *very* expensive.
Personally I have slow ADSL (technically broadband), but with a not very
high monthly limit.
Luckily, I can take my portable to the local library to download my
Mandriva DVDs for free.
Most people in this supposedly favored region do not have this option.
(i.e., no ADSL or not high limit or the local library doesn't provide
free Internet or no portable.)

BTW, in much of the so-called third world countries, one can have high
bandwidth connexions if one is willing to pay the price.
Often for about the same cost or less as in more favoured countries.
In any case, even paying 5$ to 10$ for a DVD would be much less
expensive for most users around the world than paying for a high
bandwidth Internet connexion.

Don't forget that we want to reach out to all potential users, not just
those already committed to open source.

- André