[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sun Nov 7 00:54:52 CET 2010

Olivier Thauvin a écrit :
> * andre999 (andr55 at laposte.net) wrote:
>
>> Luca Berra a écrit :

>>> As nanar points out delta rpm is a bad design
>>>
>>> a working concept would have been basing all deltas on a specific rpm
>>> (i.e. the one in */release) and bundling entire files. in this case a
>>> patch will grow at most as the original rpm, and you don't care about
>>> keeping incremental diffs.
>>>
>>> L.
>>>
>> Which is exactly what I was proposing.
>> Delta by file relative to the official distro release.
>>
> So to update from -1 to -3 I'll download around 300KB but to upgrade
> from -2 to -3 I'll download the full rpm so maybe around 20MB (in the
> case the rpm is 20MB) ?

No no no no no !
If from -1 to -3 is 300K, then upgrading from -2 to -3 would still be 300K.

Of course, this raises the point that the names of the original files in
-1 will have to be retained after updates, as well as the names of files
replacing them, in order to make the additional updates.  (And remove
any interim updates subsequently replaced.)
This could be facilitated by making the names of the replacement files
in delta updates the original file name + a suffix corresponding to the
delta update.

Downloading the full rpm would only be need if one wanted to install a
package not yet installed.  And of course the latest delta update, if any.
Of course, if full updates are retained, then one only downloads the
full update, as it will be a full rpm.

> It's a proposal like others...
>
> I am not sure people having slow connections will enjoy this.

They will, as long as the proposal is well understood.
And adequately explained, of course :)

- André