[Mageia-discuss] Compability with other packaging-solutions

Luca Berra bluca at vodka.it
Thu Nov 11 08:38:07 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 08:09:52AM +0100, Kristoffer Grundström wrote:
>I believe I'd like to have a gui to blend in a NON-Mageia package into
>Mageia's database. Is that possible?
it is very very hard to get right

>For instance....... let's say that you find an opensource-program in a repo
>for another distro (a good example is telegnome).
there is a tool named alien that can supposedly convert deb packages to
rpm, the result may vary since debian and mandriva/mageia are laid out
quite differently.

>You either choose to download the package & install it using a gui to use it
>in Mageia or you let the installer see what deps are missing and let it add
>theese to the installation.
or, you ask for it to be packaged for mageia, or even better you try and
package it for mageia and submit it for inclusion, which will be a
win-win situation, you get your package into the distro, and the
community gains another maintainer :P

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at vodka.it