[Mageia-discuss] The Law of Two Feet

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 11 17:39:19 CET 2010

2010/11/11 Hoyt Duff <hoytduff at gmail.com>:
> The Law of Two Feet
>
> http://socuteurl.com/pudgykissymidgypiggle
>
> A good read about how FOSS could work better.

Interesting read but ..... let me give an example from my personal
experiences over the previous weeks:

We (the founders) are meeting each Monday to discuss progress,
schedules, ideas of setting up the Mageia infrastructure. Me, being
neither a technician nor a developper are very often just sitting in
front of my screen watching the experts talk about things and
sometimes I have no clue what they are talking about. So, according to
the LoTF I should rather spend my time thinking about ideas and ways
to get those parts going where I can contribute.

No.

These meetings are giving me insights of the whole system I never had
before and the things I am learning about the whole system will
definitely help me in my future contributions to Mageia. My turf is
communication, documentation, "user relations",  and "community
organisation and support" and very often users ask things which I can
explain better now with this new experience. I will be able to see
issues now from both sides, not only from the user's side (as I did
before).

So, even if you can't contribute to the topics of a meeting you may
benefit from being there by learning and gathering information. Ask
your brain before you move your feet.

--
wobo