[Mageia-discuss] Logo proposals discussion

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 22 05:20:21 CET 2010

2010/11/22 andre999 <andr55 at laposte.net>:

> Well the cauldron logo is so simple that it is barely distinguishable from a
> circle.  What we need is a distinctive logo that is easily recognisable.
> Even if the cauldron is recognised as such, what is the image usually
> associated with a cauldron, at least in Europe and North America ?
> Witchcraft.  Thus magic.
> So of course, potential users will be attracted by an operating system which
> says,
> "with the right incantations, Mageia *should* work."

No. The will be attracted by the operating system, not by the logo. If
the operating system is good they will remember the logo as positive
sign. This is more likely if the logo is easy to remember, no matter
what it says. To the user it only says, "it's the sign of a product I
like". To users who never tested the product it will mean nothing at
all no matter what it says.

Yes, we have all those principles what the logo should tell about
Mageia. Doing that will not hurt but at the end of the day there is
only one feature a logo must have: recognizability. It does not matter
if the logo talks about a cauldron or just points to a restaurant
selling duck soup, important is that users will remember it in
relation to the operating system they just tested and liked. What
meaning has the star on a Mercedes? Nobody knows but everybody can
draw the logo in seconds and everybody knows that it resembles a good
product (whether you like the cars or not).

--
wobo