[Mageia-discuss] Logo proposals discussion

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Mon Nov 22 07:24:02 CET 2010

Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2010/11/22 andre999<andr55 at laposte.net>:
>
>> So tell me : where are the positives - for the average potential user not
>> already committed to Mageia ?
>> I'm listening ...
>>
> They are nowhere, in no logo at all (set aside logos which carry
> images of certain things like a car or a washing machine). The logo
> will only start having "positives" or "negatives" after the user has
> looked at what the logo stands for. If he thinks Mageia is positive
> than the logo will have a positive meaning for him. Again: it is not
> the logo which gives meaning to a product, it is the product which
> gives meaning to a logo.
>
> If it were the other way round Mercedes would have had to change their
> logo when the protest marches in the late 60ties started to show this
> (almost) same symbol. Who knows what Ubuntu's logo means? Would
> anybody have cared about the logo before he tested Ubuntu?
>
> I state that a logo only has a positive rating if 1st the product is
> positive and 2nd the logo is simpel enough to be remembered.

Obviously we don't agree.
The basic idea behind selecting the logo was to help present/promote Mageia.

I don't know about you, but when I started getting interested in Linux
(already a programmer for many years), I ended up choosing Red Hat.  Why
?  I did a lot of reading.  Looking at what was available.  The
distinctive logos were a means of categorising the different distros
available at the time.  (I only remember Slackware as an alternative.)
Eventually I tried RedHat. I liked it.  After that the logo was totally
irrelevant, as far as my using RedHat.
Later, already familiar with Linux, the Mandriva logo interested me.
After a few years of interest, using the logo as a focus of info
available, I tried it.  I liked it.  And the logo became irrelevant, as
far as my using Mandriva.

When I say interested me, it was a symbol to identify information on the
product, distinctive enough that I knew that the info was associated
with the product in question, but without negative connotations which
might make me decide prematurely that it wasn't something of interest.

If someone is already committed to a product, what difference will a
logo make, it terms of their usage of the product ?

 From your point of view, how is the logo important ?
If you don't think it is important, why do you bother to debate it ?

take care,

- André