[Mageia-discuss] Logo proposals discussion

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Wed Nov 24 02:47:01 CET 2010

Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
> Step 1. already occurred:
> ... first short list of 77 files:http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/mgared/
>
> Step 2. is the reason of this mail. 77 is still a lot,
> ... we prefer to start the discussion now.
> We are Thursday Nov. 18th. That makes the public discussion open until
> Wednesday Nov. 24th.

First of all, I think that despite the guidelines, "Linux" should
usually be included with the logo and "Mageia", if not an integral part
of the logo.
After all, we are promoting/presenting the Mageia variety of Linux.

My preferences are :
1) <http://www.flickr.com/photos/42998910@N02/5078260989/>
     mageia_variations by gejobj.
These are 11 variations (by colour/font) of the same logo.
These are based on
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/42998910@N02/5012718103/> marisa_mageia_v2
by the same designer, also on the selection list.
It is a cube showing 3 faces, forming an "M" below and an "L" above,
with "Mageia" to the right, and a small "Linux" below to the right of
the "g".
My prefered colour scheme is column 2 row 2. (blue+green "M", orange
"L", violet "Linux")
My prefered font for "mageia" is column 2 row 4 (last), due to open "g"
(simpler) and "a" (not easily confused with "o").
For "Linux" it is column 1 row 7 (last), non-serif proportional small caps.
----

2) <http://www.flickr.com/photos/54316230@N06/5063070488/>
     mageia7_1-01 by alexn83
compass with "Mageia" to the right.
I would use the "M" on the simpler dial above, oriented to NE so as to
hide the points NE and SW.  This simpler image should scale better.
I would also make the circle regular.
These changes should make it more easily recognisable in different
contexts as well.
The font I would use a sans-serif proportional, with the "a"s open to
the left, to be more readable.  And no colour gradiant in the font.
(Leave that to the image.)
The colours to well together.
Note that this proposal seems very similar to another computer logo that
I've seen in the past.  (maybe Mandriva or RedHat ?)
----

3) <http://www.flickr.com/photos/55329486@N03/5134846325/>
     mageia_logo_6 by sisopetron
Mageia in black with a green star for point of the "i", surrounded, in
background, by 5 progressively circles lighter circles filled in
progressively lighter blue.
The 5 spheres representing 5 continents ?
The font is ok, except I would use an open "a", to avoid confusion with "o".
The star in green would be better reduced in size - to as to not overlap
the letters.  The green makes a very nice accent.
The version with green-blue instead of blue in the spheres looks also
very nice.
----

4) <http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennael/5021614786/>
  mageia_ftizzoni05 sur ennael, by F. Tizzoni.
An "M" formed of 4 oblique rectangles, 2 tones of violet, 2 tones of
orange, with "Mageia" below to the right, an orange dot on the "i".
Very distinctive.
For colours, the orange is very nice.  Maybe the violet could be light
green or blue-green ?
The font is ok, except I would use an open "a", to avoid confusion with "o".

This was my second choice, but it seems to have been dropped from the
MageiaRed pages.
To compensate, I'm adding another choice :

4a) <http://www.flickr.com/photos/29757814@N02/5023349863/>
     mageia3 by eMir
A sphere divided into blue to the left, gold to the right, with a light
tone of each colour above, separated by an arc descending in the middle.
Superimposed in white is a big "bleeding" "M", with a smallish "mageia"
near the bottom of the sphere.

The colours blue/gold tones + white text are go very well together.
In shades of grey, it should work well : the darkest grey replacing dark
blue lower left, the lightest replacing light gold upper right.

   I would make a few (important) changes.
   (1) move the arc created by the tones so that it touches the widest
part of the sphere, to be an equator, an make its curve less pronounced.
   (2) move the big "M" entirely above the equator, and make its edges
regular to remove the "bleeding" effect.  Maybe 2/3 the size or smaller
(to fit above), still fairly large.
   (3) move "mageia" up to just under the equator, following the curve
of the equator.
Don't change its font, which is perfect !

With the changes suggested, the sphere becomes the world.  (The user is
left to imagine the continents.)
----

my 2 cents :)

- André