[Mageia-discuss] Habemus logo

Hoyt Duff hoytduff at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 18:22:54 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Daniel Kreuter
<daniel.kreuter85 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Reading his opinion raised one question for me, what is the meaning of
> Mandriva's star? On first sight I don't see one.

Mandriva entered the world named "Mandrake", after Mandrake the
Magician, a syndicated newspaper comic strip. The original logo
featured a top hat, magic wand and a star.

"Mandrake the Magician" is however protected by copyright, so a name
change was in order. With the merger of Connective and Mandrake,
Mandriva was born.

I suppose they kept the star as a link to the Mandrake heritage and
since the copyright-infringing items were the name, top hat and wand,
but not the star, keeping the star was OK. The original name survives
in the drak* tools.

--
Hoyt