[Mageia-discuss] Mandriva breakage warning *** important ***

Michael scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Dec 18 20:44:44 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 08:44:00AM +0100, Juergen Harms wrote:
> I just found this message from Florian Hubold in the cooker mailing list
>
> >todays update for mandriva-release-common from main/updates from
> >2010.1 breaks mirrorlist and therefore urpm*-tools altogether
> >when a placeholder like $RELEASE is used with mirrorlist,
> >and as this seems to be the default setup, many machines
> >will be hit by this, effectively disabling package management.
>
> The server for the Mandriva forums appears to be (already?) broken,
> no possibility to warn people via that evident way - maybe this copy
> can help to minimise annoyance.

Ok, so I doubt people will listen to me, and I know that you are trying to help,
but this is mageia-discuss, not mandriva-discuss.

If we start to discuss Mandriva breakage and evolution here, people will not
really see the 2 community as separate. And if they do not see us as a separate
community, we will carry the bad reputation of Mandriva for the next 10 years
because people will think "mageia == mandriva".

As you surely doubt, reputation is z problem that can be quite hard and long
to overcome as we learned in the past, and quite damaging for the success of a project
in the long run. So it
is better to start now, by simply being fully separate from Mandriva and by doing everything
we can to make sure we are not seen as a 2nd Mandriva. And this include seeing Mageia
community as a separate entity, not as another Mandriva users community.

So in the light of this explanation, could people please keep Mandriva related topic
on Mandriva mailling list ?

--
Michael Scherer