[Mageia-discuss] Mandriva breakage warning *** important ***

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 19 11:21:17 CET 2010

2010/12/19 lebarhon <lebarhon at free.fr>:

> Unfortunately, everyone can still see the same names/nicknames on Mandriva
> ML and Mageia ML, and everywhere, long after Mageia birth .

This is true, due to the fact that single people but also whole
communities have been Mandriva users, packagers, developpers,
community organisations and to a certain extent still are. In my
personal case I am the founder and head of a Mandriva user community
organisation and will continue as that. At the same time I am member
of Mageia's founders and actively involved in the setup of the Mageia
organisation.
Especially in the sections where user support and user organisations
are involved you can not make people choose between both, they can
very well dance on both weddings at the same time.

OTOH I perfectly understand Michael's point. How many reports and
articles have you seen about Mageia where the author titles "Mageia,
the future of Mandriva" or (as seen today) "Mandriva, the Linux
distribution, has become Mageia" which is absolutely nonsense.
Participating in many Linux events I still hear people talking like,
"I remember some Mandrake Linux, is Mandriva a clone of Mandrake?".

So, to the "outer world" we should be very clear about what Mageia is
and what it is not. But at the time of writing of the initial mail of
this thread the Mandriva forum page was closed for maintenance for 2
days and nobody could tell when it was about to open again. So, while
I understand and agree to Michael's reasoning, in this special case I
think Jürgen did the right thing.

--
wobo