[Mageia-discuss] a cross-distribution meeting about software installers

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mandriva.org
Sun Jan 9 00:27:33 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 11:16:00PM +0100, Samuel Verschelde wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Vincent Untz from Novell, who works on openSuse, invited us (and contributers
> from other distributions, including Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu) to participate
> in a meeting about software installers and the end-user experience.
>
> Here is how Vincent presents the project :
>
> ----- Quote -----
> *** Goals ***
>
> Blue-sky goals:
>     * agree on a common UI to install applications
>     * agree on what metadata to use, how to generate it, where to host it
>     * agree on a protocol to use to provide non-static metadata (featured
> apps, ratings, comments, etc.)
>     * decide what metadata can be shared between distros, and what should stay
> distro-specific (eg: do we want user comments to be shared?)
>
> In reality, if it turns out we can't all agree on one item, it's still fine: it
> doesn't mean we can't collaborate on the other items. And some distros might
> still work together.
>
> It's worth mentioning here that what matters to us is the end-user experience.
> It matters more than the technical implementation.
>
> *** Background ***
>
> Nearly all distributions are slowly moving towards making it easier to deal
> with applications, and get information about those. The Ubuntu Software Center
> is a good example of work being done here.
>
> At the moment, many of us are working in our own corners, while we could
> certainly all move much faster if we worked together, especially since we're
> all targetting mostly the same result.
>
> We do want content to be provided not just by us, distributors, but also by
> the users: their experience with an application can inspire other users to
> install it too.
> The goals of this meeting is to see what can be put in common and harmonized
> between various distributions, from the end-user point of view.
> ----- End of quote -----
>
> The meeting will occur in Nürnberg, Germany from January 19th to 21st
>
> We don't know yet what the outcome of this 3-days meeting will be, but it may
> be a great opportunity.
>
> For the mageia side, the participants will be :
> - Michael Scherer (misc)
> - Olivier Thauvin (Nanar), author of Sophie, the cross-distribution RPM
> database,
> - Samuel Verschelde (Stormi), for the mageia-app-db project.
>
> Best regards
>
> Samuel Verschelde
Great !

This sounds like a very good idea, such a move would be great to improve
interaction between distributions and divide the needed effort to
produce for each distribution.

As far as I’m concerned, I’m sorry the schedule is a bit too tight for
me, I won’t be able to attend this meeting. Besides, the cost of the
ticket won’t make it possible either.

I’m eager to know what will come out of this meeting, have a good trip !
:-)

Regards,
--
Rémy CLOUARD