[Mageia-discuss] Contributing Howto : need help

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 10 12:35:56 CET 2011

2011/2/10 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
> Le jeudi 10 février 2011 à 07:28 -0300, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI a écrit :
>> On Thursday 10 February 2011, my mailbox was graced by a missive
>>  from Olivier Thauvin <nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> who wrote:
>>
>> > Britain people came enough in France long time ago to steal words to us
>>
>> No, we took French words to England when Guillaume le Batard took over the
>> country (and to Scotland in the days of the Auld Alliance).
>
> On this side of the pond, we rather call him "Guillaume le
> conquérant" :)

Now, could you all please forget about all this, it's almost 1000 years ago. :)
Actually it were not the true residents of the british isle who were
conquered by William, it were the Anglo-Saxons, themselves being
former conquerors of the british isle. When William won the battle of
Hastings in 1066 the real islanders had retreated to Wales, Scotland
and Ireland long before.

And now, what did the English do in those 1000 years of relationship
between France and England? They adopted the worst (french parts of
the language) and rejected the best: the french cuisine (well, any
kind of cuisine). :)

--
wobo