[Mageia-discuss] A name for mageia-app-db (round 2)
stormi at laposte.net
Sat Feb 12 23:46:17 CET 2011
Thanks for all the proposals. I'm starting a new thread to try to give a
certain (vague) direction to the research.
Among all the proposals, those who retained my attention were, for now :
- Discovery (better than "Find Out"), but was the name of one of Mandriva's
products. However, mixed with another term, could work.
- share, even if as a single word it probably won't work, too generic I think
and likely in use somewhere already. But the concept could be refined (a 2
words name with share in it ? A synonym ?)
- agora, or rather "applications agora" or "AppAgora", but to me agora would
be the perfect word for a forum. However, with the App prefix or any other word
sticked or next to it, it may work.
- software portal : simple, easy to understand (no need to explain the
meaning), maybe we're looking for too complicated. However, it's already taken
by linux mint (which proves it was not a so bad name) :
- Kelema : means nothing to most people, even if it does have a meaning, but
do we need a name that means something to people ? We could just forge one,
but that's not easy.
- mageiatheque : I really like this one, but I'm not sure I can use it for a
piece of software that will work also with packages or other distributions,
and I'm also not sure it will be understood (the -theque suffix may not be well
- packalog, even if I would avoid a name with "package" in it.
Here are also some ideas, I'm throwing them to the list to see if they inspire
- Handshake (or it translation in another language if that makes a great
word), which symbolises the contact between packagers and users
- Forest (or other terms with similar meanings, in english or other languages)
: I just like trees, and if you see each application as a tree, then mageia-
app-db could be a forest :). Any good idea around nature concepts (especially
vegetation) could really please me.
- Abondance (french word for abundance), because there are plenty of
applications available. In the same spirit : "cornucopia" / "horn of plenty".
And my preferred for now :
- Applications Galaxy (where each application is a small star in the galaxy).
I have a good feeling for galaxy.mageia.org
I'm sure there are plenty of unexplored names just waiting for us :)
More information about the Mageia-discuss