[Mageia-discuss] First impressions

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Wed Feb 16 01:35:08 CET 2011

Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> [...]
>>> perhaps for iso installation, a mirror repository should be
>>> automatically there and selected by default? so that if there's updates,
>>> they can already be used during installation... ? WDYT?
>>>
>> Well, that page is to give the user the choice to add a mirror repo if
>> she/she wants it, but not forcing it...
>>

> i'm just thinking if we list some form of updates there by default, it could
> mean faster install (no updates later on), and if something wasn't functional,
> at release time, it could be "pushed" from repositories, so that it would work
> well.
>
> at the same time, i think we should try to minimize the amount of packages
> needed to have working network, (or use the stuff that's in the stage tarballs
> to get network, instead of first installing part of it)
>

>>> - i selected HTTP and it installed a few packages so i could enable
>>> networking (2min)
>>> - the partition step kept being highlighted, even when i was configuring
>>> network...
>>> - http://distrib-
>>> coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/Mageia/distrib/cauldron/x86_64 didn't
>>> seem to work when configuring additional media
>>>
>> It might have been overloaded, so no free download slots...
>>

> perhaps, i'm not sure
>

>>> - KDE choice (very funny artwork :-D )
>>> - installing (5min)
>>> - when configuring, wizard said my password was trivial to guess, even
>>> though i had letter and digits in it with total length 8
>>>
>> A good pasword should contain a mix of atleast 3 of theese:
>> - lower-case characters
>> - upper-case characters
>> - numbers
>> - special characters
>>
>> and preferably >=10 characters
>>

> so, it's either trivial or good? no inbetweens?
>

>>> - perhaps the iso media should be removed after installation and when
>>> updated media are installed? it keeps requesting for the DVD...
>>>
>> That would mean getting network traffic, even if you have it on the iso.
>> And the user can always change it in the media manager
>>

> how often do you have people installing ISO, then removing iso, to boot from
> disk; only to find out that you have to put it in again to install a few
> applications. granted the first reboot doesn't boot from the iso, but the
> subsequent boots do use the iso...
>
> otoh, indeed it could mean increased network traffic...
>

>>> - vim didn't show a color scheme for /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg .
>>> - trying to update with urpmi --auto-select showed me that i had an
>>> orphaned package ? kernel-desktop-devel ? odd...
>>>
>> urpmi orphans detection isn't perfect yet...
>>

> i don't think this is the problem, tbh, i'm wondering why it was even
> installed? (unless it was for dkms stuff?)
>

>>> logs vbox3 guest: (vbox3 is still in 2010.2, so perhaps we should have
>>> vbox3 compatibility?)
>>>
>> vbox 4 is in 2010.2 backports
>>

> true, but would you dare to upgrade an existing vbox3 version to vbox4? i have

See: comments:
/Preliminary testing shows Virtual Box Appliances from ver 3.1.10-12
import and function well in ver 4.0.x and visa-versa / 12/26/2010 satellit
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Emulator_image_files#VirtualBox

I default to .vmdk and .ovf for export and import and do not use new
.ova format for exports to maintain compatibility.

Tom Gilliard
satellit_ on freenode IRC