[Mageia-discuss] Installation mageia 64bit in a cpu : AMD

Anna Lawless lalawless at wingets.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 14:25:24 CET 2011

Charles A Edwards skrev 21.2.2011 02:04:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 00:45:54 +0200
> Thomas Backlund<tmb at iki.fi>  wrote:
>
>> Oh, I forgot about a few Semprons released in ~H1/2004 and Mobile
>> Semprons until ~H1/2006 that got released without AMD64 support
>> in a "compete with Celerons" round...
>

> In fact the 1st Semprons released in 2004 were Socket A chips using
> throughbred or thorton cores and later, barton cores; and were most
> definitely not 64 bit.

True,
I was referring to the socket754 and newer ones...

--
Thomas

I have Mageia installed on a 32 bit AMD Sempron. The box is an old Advent
and I don't know the original date although CPU speed is reported as over
2100m GHZ. It installed with few problems, but I didn't do a clean install,
I upgraded from Mandriva and still have a very few Mandriva packages, where
there are not yet Mageia to replace them.
Most annoying for me is the lack of a proprietary Nvidia driver. Mandriva
won't install using a Mageia kernel, and using the file available from
Nvidia has tainted the kernel in the past so I've not tried installing that
yet.

Anna