[Mageia-discuss] User made a negative Mageia review

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 11:37:38 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 18:35, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2011/2/22 André Machado <afmachado at dcemail.com>:
> Yes, we DID tell everybody that it is a not-for-use and not-for-review
> alpha version. But as people are, we could not avoid such "reviews".

Yes. And there is nothing wrong or bad or whatever about that. That's
just to be expected and why warning signs were put along the alpha
release: at the least, there were warning signs. :-)

The point of a technical release is not to impress people but to
provide a sample freeze in the state of development for contributors.
It a public release because that's how we expect it to happen.

Of course, some people may be deceived, not impressed, negative - we
can't and we won't please everyone. That's life and that's only a part
of the whole picture. We just have to sort out the useful bits out of
that.

>From this very review, it seems it's more about the differenciation
with Mandriva that is not obvious (identity switch, both in artwork
and in software behaviour). Well... yes, of course, at this point. But
said again, ok.

We said it from day 1 and will repeat it, even the final June release
is not planned to be a totally breaking new/different distribution
than what we had with Mandriva before: it will be an updated, clean,
strong, stable platform, as a solid foundation for: daily use (desktop
and server at least), easy migration, further developement and to
start the real change/work for Mageia 2 where we expect bigger changes
to occur.

Now, of course, taking this road may:
 * not be fully understood: we can explain more and again what we did
(we did a very significant amount of work in building up again a full
factory and in gathering people and releasing a first test ISO, all
that in 5 months) and what we will do; but we won't be overly loud
about it either; what matters for users is the final whole product;
 * and seen as very conservative - and it is. And we need that.
Because we're not just building a distribution (very short term final
release being June), we are building the project as well: people
involved/joining in the project, governance, mission, goals; that's a
way longer term and it has to occur concurrently with our first
release making.

We're not running a race against Mandriva (because that's actually the
point of the above review), we're running our path, picking what we
will find fits, and trying to keep on our schedule.

And it goes through involving more largely the whole community into
the making of the Mageia distribution and project. That is the point.
\o/

Romain