[Mageia-discuss] Attention, please

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Feb 23 21:11:48 CET 2011

Le mercredi 23 février 2011 à 19:28 +0000, André Machado a écrit :

> But, before this is done, it's necessary that we achieve another goal:
>
> II. Make agreement with main RPM distros to standardization:
>
>     a. Standardize naming and versioning of packages
>           Nowadays, it's common that, in one distro, a package be called
>           'samba' and, in another, 'smb'. Thus, if we try install a
>           package made for the first one in the second, we can break
>           dependence tree. Standardizing the naming and the versioning
>           would solve this issue. Comnpatibility with current distro
>           versions could be achieved by dummy packages.

What do you mean by "standardize versioning" ?

>     b. Standardize file locations
>           Even if you can install a package made for a distro to another
>           without breaking the dependency tree, can occur in the
>           application does not find the libraries or configuration files
>           that need, being necessary to create symbolic links to them.
>           Standardize the location of these files would solve the problem.
>           Comnpatibility with current and old distro versions could be
>           achieved by symlinks created automatically during install.

File location are already standardized by FHS.

And can you explain what you mean by "compatibility with current distro
could be achieved by symlinks" ?

>     c. Standardize init scripts
>           By similar reasons.

Already started with systemd.

> Of course, this won't be easy, but let's intone this slogan: "Pack once, install
> everywhere".

Everywhere seems to be a little bit exaggerated, unless you also add
windows, mac os x and *bsd in the mix ?

--
Michael Scherer