[Mageia-discuss] Attention, please

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Thu Feb 24 11:11:53 CET 2011

Michael Scherer a écrit :

> Le mercredi 23 février 2011 à 19:28 +0000, André Machado a écrit :
>
>> But, before this is done, it's necessary that we achieve another goal:
>>
>> II. Make agreement with main RPM distros to standardization:
>>
>>      a. Standardize naming and versioning of packages
>>            Nowadays, it's common that, in one distro, a package be called
>>            'samba' and, in another, 'smb'. Thus, if we try install a
>>            package made for the first one in the second, we can break
>>            dependence tree. Standardizing the naming and the versioning
>>            would solve this issue. Comnpatibility with current distro
>>            versions could be achieved by dummy packages.
>
> What do you mean by "standardize versioning" ?

Maybe he is thinking of related packages that are regrouped differently
in various distros, and thus named somewhat differently.  Most distros
seem to already follow upstream naming and versioning.

>>      b. Standardize file locations
>>            Even if you can install a package made for a distro to another
>>            without breaking the dependency tree, can occur in the
>>            application does not find the libraries or configuration files
>>            that need, being necessary to create symbolic links to them.
>>            Standardize the location of these files would solve the problem.
>>            Comnpatibility with current and old distro versions could be
>>            achieved by symlinks created automatically during install.
>
> File location are already standardized by FHS.

A lot of smaller third-party packages (not associated with a distro)
have rather creative interpretations of FHS.  Again, it doesn't seem to
be a problem with major packages or distro-based packages.

> And can you explain what you mean by "compatibility with current distro
> could be achieved by symlinks" ?

Maybe he means adding symbolic links in spec files from upstream install
locations to standard FHS locations ?

--
André